Installing Java 6 on Mac OS X

March 30, 2008

Mac OS X
As I mentioned previously, installing Woopra on a Mac requires installing the beta of Java 6. Unfortunately, how to get that done may not be terribly obvious to some users (it wasn’t to me, to begin with).

You can find the Java SE 6 beta for OS X at Apple Developer Connection. If you’re not an ADC member, you can log in with your normal Apple login. You’ll be prompted to join ADC Online, but it’s free to do. Once you’ve gotten logged in, go to Downloads, select “Java” on the right hand side of the page, and download the Java SE 6 beta. Note: this is only available for Intel Macs running Tiger or Leopard — if you’ve got a G4 or G5, you’re out of luck right now.

Update 04/29/08 – The update has been released and is no longer available from ADC, but generally available from Apple downloads — see details here.

Once you’ve downloaded and installed the Java beta, there’s another not-terribly-obvious step you have to do. Go to /applications/utilities/java and run the Java Preferences app.Mac OS X Java Preferences

On the General tab, under Java Applet Runtime Settings, select “Java SE 6″. In Java Application Runtime Settings, re-arrange the list of Java versions so that Java SE 6 is the top item (click the image for a full-size picture of the proper settings).

Once you’ve done that, hit “Save”, and you’re good to go for running Java 6 applications. Remember that this is a beta, so use a bit of caution if you’re doing anything mission critical with it.

I installed this so I could install Woopra — if you’re installing Java 6 for OS X, tell us a little bit about why you’re doing so in the comments — I’m sure we’d all love to find more uses for it!

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

33 Responses to “Installing Java 6 on Mac OS X”

1. Jessica on March 31st, 2008 9:50 am

Bummer! Why don’t the PowerPC users get any love? I really wanted to install Woopra on my home machine and see those gorgeous screens on my big widescreen LCD. *pout*

2. Chuck Lawson on March 31st, 2008 10:29 am

I agree. My oldest son just picked up a 12″ 1.5 GHz Powerbook that I’ve been drooling over — it’d be much easier to pack around than my Macbook Pro, but I just don’t know how much longer there’ll be much support around for them. I’m afraid that the writing is starting to be on the wall.

3. OpenSourceMarketer on April 1st, 2008 6:49 am

Chuck, your a life saver man. I’ve been scratching my head for two days on this. I’m new to Mac so after I downloaded and installed Java SE 6, I was a little lost when it didn’t run.

After I made the changes you suggested, everything worked. I’m running a MacBook with the 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

WordCamp was the best $20 bucks I’ve ever spent. Let me know if you go to any other events in the Dallas area and maybe we can have a coffee.

4. Chuck Lawson on April 1st, 2008 9:28 am

Glad it helped, Charles! This about drove me nuts when I was installing Woopra — I figured I probably wasn’t the only one that was going to have this problem :-)

WordCamp was great! My allergies were killing me (Texas in the spring hates me), so I wimped out the second day and watched the streaming video on uStream but I’m glad I got to go — lots of good stuff.

We need more things going on in the area, even if it’s only just local informal meetups. I was amazed at the turnout this weekend — back in the version 1.2 – 1.3 days, when Ryan Boran (one of the other major authors on WordPress) was still living in the area, monthly WordPress meetups were lucky to get 4 – 5 people to show up. Of course, there are a whole lot more WordPress users now.

If you hear of anything great going on local let me know, and I’ll do the same!

5. Tracking Realtime Statistics Using Woopra - Open Source Marketer » Internet Marketing Tips For Everyone - OpenSourceMarketer.com on April 2nd, 2008 8:32 pm

[...] installing Java 1.6 I found that I couldn’t install Woopra because, I still needed to change the Java preferences on the Mac. Once I did that I installed Woopra without [...]

6. Richard Giles on April 2nd, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks for this. Spent a good amount of time trying to figure it out. Might pay for Woopra to add that little tip to their site.

7. Chuck Lawson on April 2nd, 2008 9:52 pm

Glad it helped — it was a pretty non-obvious to me too at first…

8. danielthepoet on April 14th, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks, Chuck. I’ve been sitting on this for two weeks because i didn’t understand the activation part.

You the man.

danielthepoet’s last blog post..Twitter Users Will Eventually Privatize

9. Chuck Lawson on April 15th, 2008 10:33 pm

Glad I could help, Daniel!

10. Woompra on April 27th, 2008 7:56 am

[...] cliente foi um tormento. Primeiro, o requisito é por um JAVA que ainda está em beta e requer uma receita mágica, ok, talvez não tão mágica para instalar. Não sofri para realizar a instalação, mas isto não [...]

11. Woopra on April 27th, 2008 9:22 am

12. Woopra - Theme Update to TMA with Widgets | Construct ICT... on April 28th, 2008 2:54 pm

[...] were a few problems with using the client on a Mac without the beta Java download, but thanks to Metaphoric Labs its pretty easy to set up so it [...]

13. John on April 29th, 2008 2:15 pm

Frustratingly, the Java SE 6 isn’t showing up as a downloadable option. I’m on an Intel MacPro with 10.5.2.

14. Chuck Lawson on April 29th, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi John…

I just checked, and you appear to be correct — even though it’s listed on the page I link to, it no longer shows up under “Java” in the downloads section.

I wonder if this might be preparatory to a release version of the SDK coming soon, maybe in conjunction with the runtime in 10.5.3?

In any event, this is way frustrating for anyone who needs it right now.

15. Chuck Lawson on April 29th, 2008 4:08 pm

Ah. This makes sense — it’s available as a non-ADC download now. Still only for Intel machines running Leopard.

Info – Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 adds support for Java SE 6

Download – Download Page

Note for Woopra users — If you install this, you have to go back into Java Preferences and put Java SE 6 at the top of the list for Java applications again, as described above, otherwise Woopra won’t start. It seems to run fine with it once you do.

Enjoy!

16. John on April 29th, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks so much, Chuck. I had just installed Java on VMWare Fusion/Vista because I couldn’t find it for Mac. Happy to have a native-ish solution.

17. Stavelin.com » Blog Archive » Woopra live stats on May 7th, 2008 6:25 am

[...] noe som var pyton, da det ikke var intuitivt hvordan java 1.6 settes aktivt i kontrollpanelet. Se denne, hvordan skal jeg vite at man må dra versjonene over hverandre for å sette dem som aktive? I det [...]

18. Jörg Butzer on July 24th, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks for the write-up, very helpful.
    The link for the download seems to have changed.
    New Download Page

19. Other How-Tos | alkalias on October 10th, 2008 1:57 am
  20. Steven on April 3rd, 2009 7:44 pm

Installing it to try out OS X support of Talend Open Studio. Thanks for the info. Short of running find, I was having problems finding the installation. Still figuring out Macs….

21. Kenrick Chien on June 13th, 2009 10:17 pm

I first wanted Java 6 so I could compile the source to version 3.0 of the Spring Framework, but really couldn’t find any resources on how to obtain Java 6. I finally had enough when I discovered I couldn’t run a Griffon sample application, and it was suggested to me that I should try upgrading to Java 6,and that’s when I discovered your blog. I also blogged about installing Java 6 at criticalphase.com, but I point to the JDK via the command line.
    .-= Kenrick Chien´s last blog ..Installing Java 6 on Mac OS X =-.

22. Megha Sharma on June 29th, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks a lot for sharing this info… as you mentioned, it wasn’t terribly obvious!

I needed to install Java 6 to fix this issue with my Netbeans (v6.5.1) which wouldn’t let me create a new (Java EE) project due to the error:
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/script/ScriptEngineFactory

Installing Java 6 and changing the netbeans.conf file to point to version 1.6 instead of any previous version solved the issue.

Thanks again!

23. Hugo on July 2nd, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks a lot! I’m new to apple / mac os, so this is very, very useful info!

24. Paul Perrone on September 12th, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Chuck!

25. Swaminathan on April 7th, 2010 8:36 pm

Thnks Chunk!!1 i needed jdk 6 of java for s/w development in my university. Been trying all this time but no luck… i am new to mac too… ur a life saver… thnks again…

26. Navin Samuel on May 2nd, 2010 8:29 am

The downloads links keep changing. Use the query URL below to get the latest!

27. Judith M. Settles-Java applet on May 9th, 2011 3:50 am

Judith M. Settles-Java applet´s last blog post ..Utilizing Java Applets To Help You Reach Your Goals For Your Site

28. Georgia on May 19th, 2011 3:51 am

Hi, Ive doent that but it still doesnt work, it doessnt come up with java? can u please help me?

29. Marc on May 20th, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks so much!!! just saved my life… amazing the re-arrange thing… are we crazy or what? so well…

30. Eva on July 11th, 2011 12:58 pm

So I’ve been downloading and installing java for 2 days and it still won’t work. I tried doing this, and I did everything you said, but my java still won’t work! I don’t understand why, and I’m getting so frustrated. I don’t remember the name of the mac I have, but here is a picture: http://www.mylot.com/w/image/2342225.aspx

Please help. Why won’t it work?

31. small thinking | Woopra on the Mac… kinda on January 31st, 2013 12:26 pm

[...] that. And it isn’t very intuitive. Luckily, I know somebody who figured it out and posted instructions on how to install Java 6 on your Mac (provided it’s not an inferior Mac like [...]

32. matthew ruiz on April 6th, 2013 3:26 pm

can ufix my mc it keeps saying problm with modloader and its crashed im going to paste what it says so if u can go in my account and fix it it would be great plz help me out i reaky love this game and i realy want it to work plz help me my mc name is xNanoBitex if u could help it would be nice thanks or can u reset my accout or minecrat plz it would be nice thanks.

33. matthew ruiz on April 6th, 2013 3:30 pm

can ufix my mc it keeps saying problm with modloader and its crashed im going to paste what it says so if u can go in my account and fix it it would be great plz help me out i reaky love this game and i realy want it to work plz help me my mc name is xNanoBitex if u could help it would be nice thanks or can u reset my accout or minecrat plz it would be nice thanks can u send this to notch or mojang it would help alot ive been waiting toget this thanks.
    this is wat it says after i logi after the mojang symbul Minecraft has crashed!
    ———————-

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; ModLoader has failed to initialize.

A full error report has been saved to /Users/yolanda/Library/Application Support/minecraft/crash-reports/crash-2013-04-06_14.28.30-client.txt – Please include a copy of that file (Not this screen!) if you report this crash to anyone; without it, they will not be able to help fix the crash :(

— BEGIN ERROR REPORT f58b6aad ——–
    Full report at:
    Please show that file to Mojang, NOT just this screen!

Generated 4/6/13 2:28 PM

— System Details —
    Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.5.1
    Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.5.8
    Java Version: 1.6.0_26, Apple Inc.
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Apple Inc.
    Memory: 501388128 bytes (478 MB) / 534708224 bytes (509 MB) up to 1069416448 bytes (1019 MB)
    JVM Flags: 3 total; -Xbootclasspath/a:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaApplicationLauncher.framework/Resources/LauncherSupport.jar -Xms512M -Xmx1024M
    AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

at bgz.(RenderManager.java:14)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:261)
    at avv.a(SourceFile:56)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:507)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
    — END ERROR REPORT c4e14ae3 ———-

please help its so annoying thank.

Got something to say? [privacy policy]

CommentLuv badge