MP3s & Waves to AMR Ringtones for Treo 650

March 25, 2005

There are a lot of programs for the Treo 650 that will play MP3s or .wav files as the ringtone.

Unfortunately, these don’t help you if you want to replace other sounds, such as the incoming mail sound.  They also require a $25 – $30 music player be installed (and taking up precious Treo memory) in order to have the MP3 or .wav codec on board.

The Treo 650 will, however, play Nokia-style AMR (.amr) ringtones, if you can manage to generate some and get them on the phone.

Here’s at least one way to do it.

(Unfortunately, this is a “windows-only” thing for now.  If someone comes up with a Mac method, please let me know…)

1. If you have an MP3, you’ll need to convert it to Microsoft .wav format.  This can be done through a lot of programs, but since iTunes is free and popular, we’ll use it.

Load your MP3 (or hopefully, short fragment thereof) into iTunes.  Go into Preferences and change Import Format to WAV.  You might as well choose a low bitrate version—you don’t get much audio fidelity with ringtones.

Right click on your MP3 and chose “Convert to Wave”.  Your converted file will be in the iTunes music folder; you can right click on it in iTunes and choose Get Info to find out the exact path.

Don’t forget to change your Import preferences back to MP3 (or whatever you prefer), or you’ll be real surprised the next time you rip a CD.

2. Go here for instructions on how to download, install and use the Nokia Multimedia Converter from Nokia.

It’s free, but you have to do a bunch of dinking around registering for their developer forum in order to download it and get the serial number to install it.

3. Convert your wav file to AMR using the instructions found in step 2.
  4. The remaining problem is how to get the AMR file to the phone; Palm Desktop does not recognize it as a valid file type, and neither does Missing Sync on the Mac.

You can, however, either copy it via Bluetooth, or mail it to the phone.

I chose to mail mine.

Attach your AMR files to your message, and retrieve them on your e-mail client of choice on the phone.  Open the attachment, and the Treo will recognize it as a ringtone and install it as one of the device “sounds”.

I found that most running programs (such as my e-mail program) didn’t re-read the list of available sounds once launched, so I did a soft reset.  Once I did that, I was able to select my new sound as my incoming mail sound.

Good luck!

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

23 Responses to “MP3s & Waves to AMR Ringtones for Treo 650”

1. pucku on July 27th, 2005 3:58 pm

Okay, so I created an AWB and I want to get it on my Treo 650 (cingular), but when I try to email it to myself (phone number)@ms.mycingular.com OR (phone number)@cingularME.com, I get the message, but the attachment gets stripped off. Also, I don’t have email on the phone…please help!!!

2. pucku on July 27th, 2005 8:23 pm

FORGET IT…I signed up for email and figured out that AWB won’t work…I sent the AMR to my phone and it works! SO COOL…thanks.

3. Chris on August 3rd, 2005 9:39 am

Need help getting song as ringtone- I converted an mp3 song to the amr format. I emailed it to my treo and it automatically went to my midi files where all of the other standard ringtones are located. The problem is that when I select my converted song, I get no sound. If i load that song as my ringtone and call my treo phone, I get nothing. Please help!

4. mohamed on August 10th, 2005 2:02 pm

i need to convert somefiles

5. Thanksabunch on August 13th, 2005 1:19 am

Thanks so much for this! You rawk!

6. e-rock on August 15th, 2005 12:38 pm

Sound Grinder will convert audio files to AMR on Mac

7. random on August 15th, 2005 10:25 pm

Found that no matter what the actual size of the attachemnt (when sent via e-mail) it would show up in the ring-tones area as something like 58.5kB.

Had to use bluetooth to transfer the file. That worked. Too bad the sound quality is crap.

Thanks for the tip though!

8. Rich on September 4th, 2005 3:37 pm

• Copy it to an SD expansion card: This method is a bit tricker than the others, so don’t try it unless you’re comfortable with file structures. You’ll need a USB SD card reader for your PC. First, download the MIDI file to your desktop computer, and transfer the file to the SD card, making a mental note of its location on the card. Insert the SD card in your Treo smartphone, and launch the Web browser (don’t worry, you don’t need an active Internet connection to do this, and no kilobytes are taken out of your mobile data plan). In the web address bar, enter the location of the MIDI file in this format:
    file:///(folder)/(yourmidifile.mid)
    o file:/// – enter this text exactly — including three forward slashes
    o (folder) – the folder where you stored the MIDI file
    o / – use a forward slash to indicate folder contents
    o (yourmidifile.mid) – the filename of the MIDI file
    An example address would be file:///MyMIDIfiles/BestRingtoneEver.mid. Once the address is entered, hit Go, and the file will be transferred to the MIDI Ring Tones database.

9. mike on September 15th, 2005 11:56 pm

Do you guys find that .AMR files work when you attach them as the ringtone to a favorites speed dial button? My AMRs work as alarms and as the only phone tone, but when I attach them to individual speed dial buttons… to give callers unique rings… they don’t play. weird.

10. fakoly on September 20th, 2005 5:09 pm

I foud a more simple way…you need an explorer like resco.
    1. copy your wave file to an sd card
    2. open the wav with explorer
    3. it is transfered in the sound utility and the name is ???
    4. rename it with original name

That’s it.

Fakoly

11. David K on October 2nd, 2005 8:03 am

I agree with Mike.

I have a Verizon Treo 650.

The AMR’s do not play when attached as a favorites speed dial button. At least in the favorites speed button editor.

12. Sebastian on October 6th, 2005 10:08 am

Just wanted to say I’ve been looking for something like this since the day I first got me tro 600. This works great with my 650. The quality isn’t amazing, but the main thing is I finally get to have dueling banjos as my ringtone 🙂

13. jatin on October 6th, 2005 4:42 pm

free amr hindi ringtones

14. Mike on October 7th, 2005 2:59 pm

Is there a difference between AMR and 3GPP AMR? I found the latter on a website and emailed it to myself from my computer. However when I tried to open the attachment on my phone it simply would hang and not finish opening. Any suggestions?

15. Tim on October 15th, 2005 12:21 pm

Hello,
    I followed all of the steps to get .mp3 onto my 650 as a ringtone. It is now stored as a sound file and when I set it as a ringtone it plays in the “sounds” section; however, when someone calls my phone one of the original ringtones plays, the .amr file will not play. I already did a soft reset. Help????

16. MICHAEL K on October 16th, 2005 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the tips…. Can anybody help me set up my Versamail…

17. Howard Haisten on October 24th, 2005 9:13 am

Followed the steps. Emailed the amr file to my Treo 650. Tried to open the attachment and got the message ” downloading of this file type not supported”. I emailed a ringtone from my Treo to myself just to see the file format type. It was a wav file. so I tried to email a wav formated file of the ringtone to my Treo and got the same message. Is there a way to configure the Treo to allow downloading of certain file types? Thanks

18. RODRIGO on November 29th, 2005 8:09 pm

Please !!! Help me to set up my mp3 files as my ring tones
    to my treo 650, if you aready did it send me to my email
    the instructions. Thanks
    ticoiglesias@hotmail.com

19. Batoota on December 16th, 2005 11:05 am

I Want programme to convert the wav files to amr

20. Rich on December 19th, 2005 7:25 pm

Hey (#16) MICHAEL K if you’re still having problems setting up your versamail send me an email @ rich@cornerstonegri.com and I’ll help you with it. Just make sure you have your POP & SMTP information available. There’s nothing to it.

21. Kean on December 21st, 2005 6:52 pm

I e-mailed the amr file to my phone i downloaded the file to my phone…. is there a specific way you have to save the amr file as?? then I did a soft reset and the phone still doesn’t recognize the amr file so I can’t play it at all I have the SPRINT Treo 650 does anyone have this same problem or did they get it to work let me know please this is pissing me OFF!!! give me a call at (626) 429-2238 or e-mail me at kean.bunya@yahoo.com thanks.

22. CA Dolfan on April 2nd, 2007 11:16 pm

worked like a charm. thanks.

23. Chuck Lawson on April 14th, 2007 1:34 pm

Before you go through all of this, here is a much simpler way of doing this…

Got something to say? [privacy policy]

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Bottom